With warmer temperatures finally here and summer just around the corner, many of us are content to close up our fireplaces until fall. However, if your chimney needs masonry repairs now may be the best time to have them done!
What causes masonry damage?
While bricks and mortar are one of the strongest building materials on the planet, they cannot stand up to everything. Because of this, there are a number of things that can damage your masonry. One of the most common causes of masonry damage is water. Long term exposure to moisture, such as puddles of standing water on the chimney or areas that sprinklers hit with every pass, are at greater risk of damage such as cracking and spalling. This type of damage can often be exacerbated by winter weather conditions; this is why masonry damage is more commonly discovered in the spring.
Signs of masonry damage
Masonry damage can be as minor as a small crack in the mortar or as major as entire chunks of brick or stone falling away from the structure. While a chimney inspection is often needed to pinpoint small areas of damage, the following are signs that your masonry may need to be repaired.
– Chips or cracks
– Missing pieces of bricks or mortar
– Stained masonry
– Long-term growth of ivy or other climbing plants on masonry
– Chimney leaks
Why should I schedule my masonry repairs now?
While spring might not be known as a time of heavy fireplace use, it is often the best time to have your masonry repaired. Below are some of the reasons why you should think ahead and schedule your masonry repairs today.
– Flexible scheduling: Spring is often considered the “off season” for chimneys. Because of this, it is easier to get a flexible appointment time that fits into your busy schedule.
– Mild temperatures: Many masonry repairs require mild temperatures and weather in order to be done. Because of this, some repairs cannot be completed in the cold of winter or the heat of summer, giving spring the ideal weather conditions for repairs.
– Ready to use: If you have your masonry repaired in the spring when you are not regularly using your fireplace, it will be ready to go again the fall when temperatures begin to fall. This gives you the advantage of a fireplace that is ready to use as soon as the first cold snap arrives.
Our masonry services
At Jack Pixley Sweeps, we can clean your chimney inside and repair your masonry outside. We are proud to offer our customers a wide range of masonry services that will keep your fireplace system looking beautiful and burning safely. Our skilled masons can handle any chimney repair, from small areas of tuckpointing or flashing repair to rebuilding your chimney from the ground up.
Don’t put off your masonry repairs until fall. Instead, schedule your masonry work this spring to get the best appointment flexibility and have your fireplace ready to use again in the fall. Contact Jack Pixley Sweeps today to schedule your masonry work today!