As winter weather approaches, now if the time of year when many homeowners having their chimneys swept and cleaned. However, it is important to be wary of who is cleaning your chimney. Instead of going with the cheapest company or hiring someone who simply comes to the door, homeowners should find a CSIA certified chimney sweep.
A certified chimney sweep can do more than just clean your chimney; these highly trained professionals can make sure your fireplace system is in good condition and is safe to use all season long. This year, trust a CSIA certified technician with your chimney and fireplace cleaning!
What is CSIA certification?
The Chimney Safety Institute of America, or CSIA, is a non-profit organization dedicated to chimney and fireplace safety, education, and certifications. The CSIA is widely considered the most prestigious professional organization in the chimney industry, and chimney sweeps with a CSIA certification have had to undergo years of rigorous education and testing.
Because there are so few standards and controls on who can call themselves a chimney sweep, it is important to work with a technician who has professional certifications like those offered by the CSIA. Certified chimney sweeps have a broad knowledge of chimney topics and issues such as:
– Recommended safety techniques and practices
– Current local and national building codes
– Fireplace dynamics and construction
– Fireplace, stove, and insert installation
– EPA emissions requirements for heating appliances
CSIA certifications are not for life; chimney sweeps must retest every three years in order to maintain their certifications. Doing this ensures that CSIA certified chimney sweeps are up to date on the latest advancements in the fireplace industry.
Finding the right chimney sweep
Choosing a chimney sweep is sometimes as simple as opening up the phonebook or doing a quick search on Google. However, before deciding who to trust with your chimney and fireplace cleaning it is important to learn about their certifications along with other information about their business. In addition to having a Certified Professionals Locator, the CSIA also recommends asking questions similar to these before hiring a chimney sweep.
– How long has the company been in business?
– Can the company provide current references?
– Does the company have unresolved complaints with city or state consumer protection agencies or the Better Business Bureau?
– Does the company carry a business liability insurance policy to protect your home and furnishings against accidents?
– Will a CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep be on the job site?
Working with a CSIA certified chimney sweep means that you are working with a highly trained professional, not just some guy with a truck. If you’re in the Minneapolis area, trust Jack Pixley Sweeps to take care of your chimney and fireplace cleaning needs. Contact us today to schedule your next chimney appointment!