With the start of the new year behind us, we at Jack Pixley Chimney Sweeps and Masonry would like to remind our Minneapolis area neighbors that we offer more than just chimney sweeping! In fact, one of the main services we provide this time of year is fireplace remodeling.
There are a variety of reasons why homeowners would want to update the look of their fireplace. While aesthetic purposes are often the reason, the fireplace front is sometimes in need of remodeling because of an alteration made to the fireplace. If you’ve recently had the firebox been rebuilt or you’ve had a different type of insert installed, you’ll more than likely need to make changes to the fireplace front.
The fireplace is not only for keeping us warm, but can be a perfect focal point, and a definite plus for a future home sale. Gone is the standard traditional brick face and old mantel, and in comes new materials and upgrades to change that look. All sorts of different stones, tile, or brick designs can be used for remodeling, and this includes changing the mantel or hearth material.
Before updating, there are many things you need to consider during the process. The following is a list of do’s and dont’s when having your fireplace worked on.
Things to do when updating your fireplace:
- Replace your mantel to an updated style or material to be more decorative.
- Instead of brick, consider round river rock, lake stone or flat stone of different colors.
- Decorate with a piece of art above the fireplace to heighten the fireplace as a focal point of the home.
- Use mirrors to decorate! Mirrors draw the eye and reflect light to the fireplace.
- Arrange furniture to highlight the warm and cozy view.
Thing you shouldn’t do.
- Don’t place a television right above the fireplace. A television above needs to be a certain height for clearance considerations and can detract from the fireplace.
- Don’t block the view of your fireplace focal point with furniture
- Don’t paint your fireplace with just any old paint! Buy the right type of paint if considering brightening up the face and room
- Don’t use the same old fireplace accessories for a newly remodeled fireplace. Updated fireplace accessories are a good finishing touch.
Take advantage of this time of year by scheduling a fireplace remodel or facelift today! If it’s for cosmetic purposes, our technicians are more than happy to help you develop designs for your fireplace front. Either way, our certified professionals are equipped to take care of all your fireplace needs! Call us today at 763-422-048.