Review Our Business Schedule an appointment TODAY! 763-422-0481
Chimney mold can cause serious respiratory problems as well as other health concerns. Watching for telltale signs of a chimney leak can help you prevent mold from happening.

Chimney mold can cause serious respiratory problems as well as other health concerns. Watching for telltale signs of a chimney leak can help you prevent mold from happening.

Do you know why molds are growing in your chimney? Are you curious as to why it poses a risk to your health and your home?  We from Jack Pixley Sweeps would like to give you an overview based on the EPA guide on what mold really is and how it can affect your home.

General Description

When water leaks into your chimney, it creates a lot of problems involving the structure of your chimney and your house in general, and more importantly, your health. One very common result of water inside the chimney is the growth of mold. Usually, molds need moisture to reproduce and thrive. You can find mold spores on leaf debris as well as the damp environment of your chimney. They come in all sorts of colors like green, brown and black. It can have a distinct dank smell to it, too.

The most common cause of mold is water but they can come from different areas and situations, too.  When there is water in damp areas, it should be cleaned within 24-48 hours to prevent creating the perfect environment for mold to flourish in.

How can you tell if you have been affected by mold?

You will know when mold is already starting to invade your homes when you notice you or any of the members of your family manifesting these things:

  • Allergic reactions
  • Nasal congestion
  • Headache
  • Cough and colds
  • Eye irritation
  • Infections in the throat or skin

If you see or feel any of the above mentioned symptoms, consult your doctor and have it treated as soon as possible. Don’t wait for your condition to become more serious.

How to prevent mold from forming?

One of many tips our CSIA-certified professionals will give you is to have your chimney inspected and cleaned annually. If you have a dehumidifier then this will make our job a lot easier because you can control the humidity inside the home and in areas prone to mold growth. Also, if you don’t have one yet, consider having a chimney cap installed to prevent water from coming in. You also need to waterproof your chimney with a waterproofing sealant and make sure your flue liner is intact.

The most important thing to do to prevent mold growth is ensuring that your chimney is properly cared for and maintained. Give us a call and we can tell you more about mold and how we can get rid of it. We guarantee that our services are worth your time and money. We have been serving almost 100,000 satisfied customers in the greater Minneapolis area for 35 years now. Our name is definitely something you can trust!